On June 1, 2022, the Department of Energy issued Financial Assistance Letter FAL 2022-04, which provides guidance to DOE and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) contracting and grants officers regarding current and pending support disclosure requirements. Effective, immediately, all DOE and NNSA funding opportunity announcements (FOAs) for research, development, and demonstration (RD&D) financial assistance activities and awards issued in response to those FOAs, must incorporate consistent current and pending support requirements as summarized below. DOE and NNSA investigators, preparers and reviewers should ensure that they are using the most current version of the FOA and guidelines, and carefully review the current and pending support requirements.
Who Must Disclose
All PIs and other senior/key personnel
When to Disclose
- At the time of proposal/application
- After selection for funding and throughout the lifetime of the award:
- if there are changes to or addition of senior/key personnel;
- if there are changes to previously submitted current and pending support disclosures;
- Updated current and pending support disclosures must be submitted within 30 days of the change.
What to Disclose
All sponsored activities, awards, and appointments, whether paid or unpaid; provided as a gift with terms or conditions or provided as a gift without terms or conditions; full-time, part-time, or voluntary; faculty, visiting, adjunct, or honorary; cash or in-kind; foreign or domestic; governmental or private-sector; directly supporting the individual’s research or indirectly supporting the individual by supporting students, research staff, space, equipment, or other research expenses. All involvement in foreign government-sponsored talent recruitment programs must also be identified.
Specific information that must be provided for each activity includes:
- The sponsor of the activity or the source of funding.
- The award or other identifying number.
- The title of the award or activity. If the title of the award or activity is not descriptive, add a brief description of the research being performed that would identify any overlaps or synergies with the proposed research.
- The total cost or value of the award or activity, including direct and indirect costs and cost share. For pending proposals, provide the total amount of requested funding.
- The award period (start date – end date).
- The person-months of effort per year being dedicated to the award or activity.
In addition, details on any obligations, contractual or otherwise, to any program, entity, or organization sponsored by a foreign government must be provided on request. Supporting documentation must be provided to DOE on request and include certified translations of any documents.
Addition of Certification Statement and Signature
Each Current and Pending Support report be signed and dated and include the following certification:
I, [Full Name and Title], certify to the best of my knowledge and belief that the information contained in this Current and Pending Support Disclosure Statement is true, complete, and accurate. I understand that any false, fictitious, or fraudulent information, misrepresentations, half -truths, or omissions of any material fact, may subject me to criminal, civil or administrative penalties for fraud, false statements, false claims or otherwise. (18 U.S.C. §§ 1001 and 287, and 31 U.S.C. 3729-3733 and 3801-3812). I further understand and agree that (1) the statements and representations made herein are material to DOE’s funding decision, and (2) I have a responsibility to update the disclosures during the period of performance of the award should circumstances change which impact the responses provided above.
As with the NIH Other Support certification, OCGA will require the use of DocuSign for DOE/NNSA certification by UCLA researchers. A Job Aid for PIs is available on the ORA Portal.
Use of NSF Current and Pending Support Forms
For convenience Current and Pending Support may be provided using NSF-approved formats. SciENcv is currently working on an update to include the certification language.